In India, the devotees of Maa Durga celebrate Navaratri with utmost dedicated and happiness. The celebrations start with Kalash Sthapana, Lord Ganesh, Maa Durga & Lord Shiva Pujan followed by fast. Many people fasts during Navaratri. There are many food items that are supposed to be consumed but there are many food items that are avoided completely. Let’s know about the list in detail:
What to Eat:
- Kuttu ka Atta (Buckwheat Flour), Singhade ka Atta (Water Chestnut flour), Rajgira/Chaulai ka Atta (Amaranth flour), Sama ke Chawal (Barnyard Millet), Sama ka Atta (Barnyard Millet flour) and Sabudana (Tapioca Pearls). Phool Makhana is commonly used too.
- All kind of nuts can be consumed like Baadam (Almonds), Kaaju (Cashews), Mungfali (Peanuts), Akhrot (Walnuts), Magaj ke Beej (Melon seeds), Chilgoza (Pine Nuts), Kishmish (Raisins), Pista (Pistachio).
- Ghee, Vegetable Oil & Peanut Oil is commonly used oils.
- Sendha Namak (Rock salt), Jeera (Cumin seeds), Jeera Powder (Cumin seeds powder), Kali Mirch powder (Black pepper powder), Elaichi Chhoti (Green Cardamom).
- Ginger root, Green Chillies, Coriander Leaves, Lemon juice are commonly used.
- All kind of fruits can be consumed. Apples, Grapes, Bananas, Papaya, Pears, Peaches, Berries, etc, any seasonal fruit can be consumed.
- Milk, Yogurt, Paneer, Fresh Cream, Butter, Malai, Khoya/ Mawa are commonly consumed milk items.
- Raw sugar, Jaggery, Honey, regular sugar are consumed commonly.
- Limited variety of vegetables is allowed during Navratris. Aloo (Potato), Arbi (colacasia), Yam (Jimikand), Kacha Kela (Raw Banana), Kacha Papeeta (Raw Papaya), Lauki (Bottle Gourd), Kaddu/Kashifal (Pumpkin) are most commonly consumed vegetables.
- Coconut powder or grated coconut and coconut milk.
What not to eat:
- Wheat flour, Rice & Rice Flour, Chickpea Flour or Besan, Sooji or Semolina, Maida or Refined Flour, Corn Flour or Starch, Millets & Millets flour like ragi & Pearl millet etc, are avoided.
- Onions and Garlic are strictly prohibited. Even eggplants (Baingan), okra (Bhindi), Other Greens, etc are not consumed. Some people consume spinach, tomatoes and cucumbers. Please check with your elders on it.
- No legumes and pulses are allowed during this period.
- Regular namak is not used. Sendha Namak is used instead of Regular Nmak. Spices like Haldi, Garam Masala, Curry powder, Dhaniya powder, Sarso or Rai, Hing are not allowed either.
- Alcohol, Eggs and Non Vegetarian is strictly prohibited.
Some Fasting recipes that people can consume during Navaratri are – Sabudana Kheer , Sabudana Aloo coins in appe pan , Sabudana Paneer Thalipeeth , Makhane ki kheer , Kuttu ke paranthe , Rajgira ke wade , Aloo-Rajgira ke paranthe , Rajgira-Kuttu ke cheele , Lauki Kuttu ke kofte e.t.c